Band-Aids have been around since 1920. Earle Dickson created them for his wife who frequently cut & burned herself while cooking. This “healing aid” is an American Icon. We all know the brand and most of us use it. It is great for life’s little physical injuries.
There are a lot of ways we can feel “injured’ or “hurt”. Sometimes, we are physically hurt. A Band-Aid may be all we need. Healing is fast & easy. Psychological & Emotional “injuries” are more difficult to heal. Band-Aids for those “hurts” don’t come as easy. We have to do some work to get past the hurt. Fortunately, there are some “Tools” we can use to help our growth and healing process.
Zing Ziegler said, “Getting knocked down in life is a given. Getting up and moving forward is a choice”.
History is full of those that supposedly failed and then became a huge success. We can use their stories or our own success to help us keep moving & growing. It gives us hope. We can Turn Our Scars in to Stars and our Wounds in to Wisdom.
Our attitude affects our viewpoint. Will life’s events boost you up or keep you down? Will your childhood or some other event keep you stuck living in the wake of the boat or will you use life’s events to propel your boat forward?
Life is not a straight line. It is a zigzag, always full of ups & downs. There is rain and then the rainbows.
Christmas is a time of hope. We hope for a happy holiday season. We hope for a happy & healthy tomorrow. Most of us hope for a New Year as good or better than we had this year.
Hope is wonderful; sometimes it is all we have as we try to hold on. Hope by itself, is not a good long-term financial or life strategy. We need more. We need to:
- Accept what is
- Decide to make a change
With this in mind, I offer you my top 12 “Band-Aids “ for psychological & emotional health and wellbeing:
1. Realize that Circumstances happen to us; they do not define who we are, unless we let them:
- Experience is part of our history and/or background; It is not who we really are
- We are more than what has happened to us. We can carry “our story” as a burden or use it as springboard for growth
- Use it as a Spring Board
2. We only “fail” if we stop trying:
- Everything else can be viewed as gaining the experience or the wisdom we need to move closer to our goal or toward our dreams
- Keep Moving
3. Know that you can “Come Back” from a tough year, relationship or financial loss:
- Learn to Let Go of things that weigh you down
- You need energy to make goals happen. Let Go of a past that drains you
- Choose to let go of the weight so you can create the energy you need to grow, in your business, or in your personal life
4. Remember & Celebrate Your Past Success:
- If you overcame an adversity or a difficult situation in the past, you already know you can do it again
- Do it
- Celebrate your past success by remembering them. Write them down & use the list as a supportive reminder if you have a bad day
- Gather wisdom from past challenges to create a better you today
5. Try to Avoid “Problem Pile-up”:
- If you have more than 1 area that could use an emotional or psychological Band-Aid, it is hard or almost impossible to heal a lot of hurts at one time
- We can’t fix things when there is a big pile
- Choose the most important now, and work on that one topic
- Then choose the next most important item; keep going
6. Decide to leave negative thoughts behind:
- Ants are “Automatic Negative Thoughts”
- Thoughts & Feelings can be fleeting
- We decide to hold on or let them go
- Choose to let the “ANT’s” go rather than let them run wild
- Try not to let your unconscious mind be the master of your life
- Choose Differently
7. Fuel your thoughts with Positivity:
- Choose to think that life is good and it will be
- Where thoughts go, energy flows
- We become what we think about
- Think positive. Be positive. Act positive
8. Determine your SMART goal. Write it down. Your goal should be:
9. Measure & Monitor Your Success:
- Document your success and date it
- Ask yourself, are my actions consistent with my vision, goals, and dreams?
- Tell yourself, if I fall short, it won’t because of my actions. Remember, actions speak louder than words.
- If your goal seems too big, decide to Either Step Up or Lower your Goal
- Baby steps, any forward steps, count too
10. Consider Practicing The Four Agreements:
- Consciously choose to be impeccable with your word, thoughts, & deeds – with yourself and with others
- Avoid making assumptions
- Avoid taking things personal
- Always do your best
11. Though we might walk “through the valley of the darkness,” we are not supposed to “Camp There”:
- Just like in life, a one -sized Band-Aid does not fit all wounds
- Little hurts heal faster than big hurts
- Big hurts can take more time to heal
- Be kind to self and give yourself time
12. Change Your Mind Movie:
- Change the Unconscious “Mind Movie” (the stories we have told to ourselves) to the Consciousness “Mind Movie” (the healthy story you want to tell about yourself).
- Create a “Vision Board” or “Dream Board
- The new visual can be based on who you are now or who you want to be in the future
- Use PowerPoint to create your own Mind Movie. Add your favorite motivational song. Watch and enjoy.
I hope some of my favorite tools help you or yours find a sense of internal peace, health, happiness, and wellbeing.
Conversations are welcomed and encouraged. Life is about heart.
You Count and I Care.
Deb Fox is working to make a difference in peoples lives, hearts, and wallets by helping others protect their financial health and is available for side-by-side, remote, or mobile appointment. More information is available at www.debfoxfinancial.com. Questions or comments can be sent to email@example.com. Thanks for reading